Milledgeville served as Georgia’s capital city from 1803 when the Georgia legislature surveyed the land and named it in honor of the then-current governor, John Milledge, until 1868 when the capital was moved to the emerging symbol of the New South, Atlanta. Milledgeville is the only city in the U.S., with the exception of Washington D.C., actually designed to be a capital city. Because of it’s central location and ample springs, Milledgeville was the perfect spot for prewar expansion. Despite the destruction caused by General William T. Sherman and the 30,000 Federal troops, much of the prewar architecture survived. The economic recession of the capital transplant to Atlanta actually aided in the preservation of federal style architecture. Most notably, the old Capital Building and the old Governor’s Mansion stand proud as symbols of stylistic and historical icons. As one of the most perfect examples of Greek Revival architecture, the Old Governor’s Mansion is open to the public as a historic house museum. The Old Capital Building, now home to Georgia Military College, was constructed in 1807 and is considered the first example of Gothic architecture in a public building in the United States.